Saturday, November 7, 2009

Slow Beginnings

starting the new composition is taking a great deal longer than I had anticipated. I had a lot of ideas of how i wanted it to sound, but no solid ideas of actual little motives or themes. I think a lot of it comes from the instrumentation that I plan to use. When writing for the piano, it comes more naturally because I can sit at the piano and wank away at some keys until I play something that resonates with me.

Where I have no intention of using the piano, finding certain chords I like can only bring me to a certain point. Organizing these chords into rhythms and finding appropriate ways for them to progress is where I find a problem, also with the voicing of the instruments.

However, last night I was fiddling with some of the chords on my guitar and finally found a rhythm that matched the chords I wanted to incorperate. So I finally had my first real pliable musical idea in about 6 days of chipping away at them. This worries me in a way though, I'm afraid I will be limited to ideas that I need to work out on an actual instrument first...and there are many instruments I would love to write for but do not know how to play them. Are there any solutions to this?

No comments:

Post a Comment