Saturday, October 17, 2009

The real thing

While I'm working on my second revision, I'm keeping in mind how important it is to get a set of fresh ears to listen and comment on my composition. The motive I took from my second piece and placed in the first revision of my first piece (the low rumbling chords) seemed like such a brilliant idea and great way to transition sections. It sounded great and a little unexpected to me which was what i was going for. However it didn't really make sense to anyone else, and when I really thought about it it didnt make much sense to me either.

My compositions had always sounded a great deal better when they were performed than on the midi playback (which isn't a surprise). It kind of made me begin to think, if it sounds ok on the midi it will probably sound a lot better when it is performed. Not always the case.

It is for these reasons, I went to Simon and asked him if he could just play through some of the changes that I had made and experiment with some of the other ideas for changes I haven't made yet. This way i won't have to rely on the midi playback or attempt playing it , and can hear how my ideas will actually sound in the performance. I am truly thankful that simon was able to do this because it gave me a much better sense of how everything will sound.

1 comment:

  1. It was my pleasure! They're great pieces, and I had a good time working on them.

    ReplyDelete