Saturday, November 7, 2009

internal resonance

As I've recently mentioned I have finally found some ideas to base my text setting on. I did start with a completley idea before however that did function musically. I was aiming for this piece to have a gypsy jazz type feel, very swingy, implied diminished harmonies never resolving just moving, and melodies based on the gypsy scale. I had only worked out a sort of introduction in this style, and I beleive it was decent music, butwhen I listened to it after a little while of being away from it, I didn't like it. Not because of the quality, just because it didn't feel right. I wouldn't want someone to hear it and assosciate it with me. And I beleive that's what's difficult about being a good composer, well not necessarily a good composer, but a composer who is fufilled with their own music, not just settling for good music, but music that has that extra resonance with themselves.
Also, I realized that continuing in that style would have boxed me in a lot faster than I would have appreciated. It was just the introduction and I was already limiting myself to get it to sound like this one paticular style which drove me nuts, so how could I base 4-5 minutes of music on these continuing confines?

No comments:

Post a Comment