Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Fin

Finally, the end of the semester is here. This semester went by so fast, but at the same time I am more than thankful that the end is here. I am taking the advanced composition class next semester, and I'm excited to start, however I am in no rush for that time to come.

I am happy with the work I've done in this class. Listening back to my compositions I feel very satisfied and fufilled through what I've done, which I think is a first for me. I've always recorded little instrumental things on my computer, just to pass some time and stuff, but I never really would be overly satisfied with what I've done.

I'm always very self concious to let anyone here anything that I create because I beleive it's a reflection of who I am. And it's not about quality, or whether they like it or not. The thing I'm self concious about is if I want those sounds to be assosciated with me or not. And this is the first time I really feel totally confident in people hearing my ideas, the overall sound that I've created in my two pieces. It just seems to make sense to me for that to be written by me. I don't know if this will make sense to anyone else...reading this back makes me feel a little bit crazy. but whatever.

I was able to find a sound that was very much my own I think. A shimmery dreamlike sound that would just surround me when I'd play it by myself in the practice room. That's where both of them started out, just me screwing around on the piano and im pleased with it. However, I do think the two pieces are similar and think I need to move away from that sort of sound. Only to learn how to develop and present new ideas. I never want to get stuck relying on a certain way of thinking or writing, that stunts growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment